Shipping a Car Overseas – a Step-By-Step Guide
Are you planning on moving across the world and shipping a car overseas? Then you’re probably wondering what the process of international vehicle transport and other related services looks like. If that’s the case, we’ve got the answers. In this detailed step-by-step guide, you’ll learn all about what you need to do in order to have your car transported safely to your chosen international destination.
The First Step to Shipping a Car Overseas – Getting a Cost QuoteGetting a shipping price estimate for cars and other services is the very first step in this process. By doing so, you’ll find out how much the whole thing is going to cost you and you’ll be able to plan your budget. More importantly, the quote will help you decide which auto transport company to choose.
Compare Overseas Shipping Estimates for CarsBefore you pick a company, you should do your best to get quotes from as many different international service providers as possible. Do your research and compare the prices you’ve been given in order to choose the best one for yourself.
Choose an International Shipping Company That’s ReliableHowever, the cost of transport shouldn’t be the only factor you take into consideration when picking your service provider. In fact, as a rule of thumb, you should never pick suspiciously cheap companies, as they might be frauds. On the contrary, choose a service provider that has reasonable prices, but good reviews and recommendations.
Schedule the Date to Ship Your VehicleOnce you’ve picked your international car shipping provider, give them a call to schedule the pickup and delivery dates. During this call, you should also request any additional information you might need, such as detailed instructions for the pickup, payment options, necessary paperwork, and so on. You should also ask whether it is your job to drop the car off at the port, or if the movers will pick it up.
Gather All the PaperworkSpeaking of the necessary paperwork, there are certain documents any auto transport company will ask from you. These include:
- Personal identification. A document proving your identity, such as a driver’s license or a passport will be necessary.
- Proof of ownership. The company will also need your vehicle title which proves you are the owner of the car or cars that’s you want to ship.
- Client form. You will be provided a form that you need to fill out with all the necessary information.
- Contract. Needless to say, a contract between you and the service provider will have to be signed.
- Miscellaneous. Some providers may request additional documents from you.