On this day, around 10 million American citizens are living outside of the US. If you plan on following the footsteps of those expats and join their community in a chosen foreign destination, you need to know how to move efficiently. Even though this process might look straightforward, it’s just at first glance. There are plenty of steps that should be performed in order to hone in a smooth relocation. But, don’t worry – it’s feasible.
When you start daydreaming about your life in another country know that it is time to put your relocation plan in motion. Begin with creating a plan and hiring an international moving company to assist you through this process. To make things easier for you we answered questions like What is the most efficient way to pack for a move and When should you start packing to move? Check out the article below and find out how to efficiently organize your move.
How Can I Make Moving Less Stressful?
If you’ve already relocated more than once, you’re definitely familiar with repetitive patterns. Your days begin with excitement, continue with a planned schedule, and end with hard work. But, if you’re moving across the world for the first time, you are probably asking yourself how to move efficiently. Excellent organization and efficiency should be the main goals if you want everything to work out well in the end.
In order to reduce stress and avoid the inevitable fatigue, it’s better to know what to expect. The following hacks will help you deal with any situation:
- Recognize that stress is a natural part of international relocation,
- Stress can be reduced if you give yourself a suitable period to pack up your entire home, prepare documents needed to travel abroad as well as check how legit is your overseas moving company,
- Make progress step-by-step, instead of being overwhelmed by a bunch of other tasks that you want to finish immediately, especially if you’re relocating abroad alone
- It’s OK to ask for help – whether you need professional movers to help you with shipping your vehicle overseas or make a deal with friends to help you obtain the best-sized boxes or even assist you when packing shoes before the relocation day.
Getting Prepared and Organized Is a Key to Successful Relocation Day
If you would like to know when to start storing, the answer is – immediately. The sooner you start, the easier it will be for you to stow everything promptly and with less pressure. But, you can create a to-do list with many tasks that should be done before you even fill your first box:
- Find international movers as soon as possible. To get the most suitable cost of relocation, compare quotes you’ve got from at least three international moving companies that offer things such as international car shipping and even marine insurance, choose the one that suits you the best, and voilá – move on to another task.
- No matter if you’re relocating to another country for love or even in pursuit of the best places to live with family, be sure you paid all the bills and check utilities before leaving the old home.
- Plan out your packing materials and calculate how much you will need in terms of boxes, bubble wrap, paper sheets, plastic wrap, stuff for cushioning, and alike.
- Empty your fridge and all food supplies. If you can’t eat up everything before the relocation day, donate unopened food. Perishables and opened food are among the many categories haulers won’t move, so make sure to find out what to store and what to leave in due course.
How to Move Efficiently? Organize Your Items and Don’t Pack Unnecessary Things
Every relocation is much easier if you organize your belongings and bring with you only the stuff you really need. That said, do a purge and donate unwanted items. Also, if you would like to donate furniture or rugs, plan pick-up arrangements, leaving the organization, and transport to charities. Put simply, have a clear picture of what not to pack when relocating and what should be moved internationally with you.
Use Storage if There’s Not Enough Room for Your Belongings
Sometimes, you will be in a dilemma about what to toss and what to keep, especially when it comes to keepsakes or heirlooms. These things might just don’t fit into your new home, but the truth is you don’t want to get rid of them. Perhaps some of them are too bulky for your tiny apartment and you’re not sure what to do with them for a while. For that reason, consider using storage units to keep your valuables and have peace of mind during the relocation chaos.
Save Money on Your Move – That Includes Free Boxes as Well
- If possible, avoid relocating in the summer, and instead, try to organize your move in the winter months,
- If wondering when is the best time to move, be flexible. Opt for a midweek or mid-day move, and avoid relocation during the holidays,
- Find free boxes at local retailers, bookstores, or schools – this step will help you save up.
How Do I Move Like a Pro? With These Moving Hacks, Your Packing Will Be as Easy as Pie
What is the most labor-intensive task during your preparatory steps? Undoubtedly, it’s packing. So, before you start storing your possessions into boxes, find out how to save yourself time while making sure your belongings are safe and protected. We’ve narrowed down some handy tips for a smoother relocation:
- Leave your clothes on the hangers, wrap them in garbage bags, and hang them in a wardrobe box.
- Leave all the belongings in your drawers. Then take the drawers out, and wrap them in a plastic cover. Sometimes, you can leave drawers in the dresser if it is not too heavy for lifting.
- Use your socks, towels, and linens for padding and cushioning.
- Pack your books in suitcases with wheels – this way, moving them will be child’s play.
- When stowing kitchen items, fill up your pots and containers with spices and small gadgets. This is a practical method to save a ton of space.
- Label your boxes promptly with a clear color code. Obtain different colored stickers and markers, and mark both your boxes and checklist with suitable colors.
- Before you move electronics and pack jewelry, it’s always a good idea to take a photo just in case they get damaged.
- Remember to take pictures of each box after packing in order to get a general idea of what is stored in every package when the unpacking comes.
Don’t Forget to Pack a Small Essentials Bag
During the relocation no matter if you are moving to Canada or halfway across the world, you’ll be needing many items, such as toiletries, medications, important documents, water and snacks, chargers, and spare clothes. Getting organized to move means to pack a small suitcase or duffle bag beforehand and keep it near you.
What Should You Move First When Moving?
Everyone has the least frequently used rooms or spaces jammed with so many different goods, and that’s why they are considered the most problematic when it comes to storing. That being said, don’t start with bedrooms – they should be left for the end. At the beginning of the whole process, you are still motivated and full of energy. Dealing with tons of tidbits and awkward items should be the least demanding at this point of the relocation phase. So, where to start, then?
Start Your Packing With Storage Areas and the Kitchen
A kitchen is definitely a place full of stuff, smaller and bigger, and is probably one of the most challenging rooms to pack. Also, a garage, attic, or basement can join this category due to their storage function. Yet, if you decide to stow in logical stages, even the toughest room won’t be such a difficult task.
How Can I Make Moving Easier? Consider These Last-Minute Relocation Tips
If you are in a hurry, you should be well-prepared to perform all your tasks promptly and efficiently. Sometimes, you just have to create a good plan and stick to it no matter what. Here are some words of advice that can help you be more productive and happier:
- When relocating, logistics is everything – figure out the best way to reach your desired destination from your current point.
- Be wise about storing your items. Don’t sort now, but make sure to wrap your fragile possessions properly. When you are behind the schedule, the most important factor is to be organized and try not to forget to stow some of the most common things people usually leave behind by mistake.
When Moving Internationally, Leave Some Work to Overseas Shipping Company
When facing a last-minute relocation, professional packers might be your life-saving solution. From the full and partial packing to the custom crating option, their packing services will meet all your needs and cut corners. So, leave the most demanding parts to them, and if you feel capable of handling other rooms, follow your schedule and be ready when the big day arrives.
Why Should You Let Experienced Professionals Handle Toughest Phases of the Upcoming Move?
Did you know that moving overseas is considered one of the most stressful life events, right up there with death and divorce? Fortunately, it doesn’t need to be like that. You can always hire reliable and skillful movers in order to reduce your tension. If you are skeptical about why you should leave this process to the experts, keep reading.
Reduce Your Stress and Save These Three Things
One of the most critical factors when relocating is to stay relaxed as much as possible and avoid anxiety and panic attacks. Here are the reasons why to consider letting the pros take over this arduous action:
- Your time is precious and worth saving,
- Your health (read: your back) is worth saving,
- Your sanity is worth saving.
International Relocation Is Worth the Trouble
Finally, if you are about to relocate internationally know that you need time, excellent condition, and great patience. People often forget how grueling all the relocation steps might be, and instead of making them excited and full of joy, the process usually translates into fussy work. Starting from scratch means a new life and great expectations. So, choose a trustworthy international moving company and hit the road carefree!